Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Loving The Lydian  (Read 6289 times)
johnnyrobbo
Music Journalist

Play all my songs

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 08:15:25 AM »

Well done, that man! B dorian, it is, MIke! I don;t hear anything wrong with your phrasing, mate... I think it's just your ears taking time to get used to the new sounds your fingers are making. As soon as you get a bit more confident, you'll find the phrases just drip from the strings. Another great thing about modes is that they give you more "notes per square inch" on the neck meaning it gets easier to play the flashy stuff because you're got more notes under your fingers.

Here's another example...

|D / / / |Bm / / / |C / G / |D / / / |D / / / |Bm / / / |G / Em / |D / / / |

So... D major tonality & therefore D major pentatonic D E F# A B

Chord notes:

D = D+F#+A
Bm = B+D+F#
C = C+E+G
G = G+B+D
Em = E+G+B

Total notes =  D E F# G A B C

Meaning that you have D major pentatonic plus G & C notes.

Compare that to the list from earlier and you should see what mode it's in and therefore what to play over it.

Well done again, Mike! You've cracked it, mate!!!  party

* D major modal.mp3 (3611.47 KB - downloaded 82 times.)
The Reverend
Administrator
Legend

Play all my songs

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 06:59:30 AM »

OK I am a bit more confident ......... D mixolydian duh jumping
I seem to be more comfortable with the sound of this It feels "poppy musicy" sunglasses

If I am right to finish my learning ( I am so grateful)
can you give me a snippet and a progression
and let me try and identify the tonal center as well as the notes and then play the right mode

Guys and John.............. there is a real satisfaction in finally nailing the mystery of the mode!
I will be moving this to learning center and re-title it "Understanding Modes"

* D mix.MP3 (3758.57 KB - downloaded 86 times.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:04:43 AM by The Reverend » Logged

B.B. KING: If we could find somebody to play chords... I'm no good with chords. I'm horrible with chords.
BONO: Um... yeah... well, uh, the Edge can do that.

TONY JONES; "I don't know too much about scales..........only that they keep my fish from falling apart"
johnnyrobbo
Music Journalist

Play all my songs

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 08:58:13 AM »

Well done, Mike! Some great modal playing there, mate!

As requested, here's a final example to sharpen your skills. The chord sequence is:

|Cm / / / |Ab / / / |Fm / / / |Bb / / / |Cm / / / |Gm / / / |Ab / Bb / |Cm / / / |

It's got a bit of a "Pink Floyd meets Gary Moore" feel to it.

You should be able to hear which chord is the tonality & from that you'll get a pentatonic. Then look for any non-pentatonic notes in the chords, add these in and see what mode you come up with.

Cheers,

John drinks

* Name The Mode.mp3 (4139.39 KB - downloaded 84 times.)
The Reverend
Administrator
Legend

Play all my songs

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 09:35:10 AM »

Here we go duh
I understand all the principles but I am struggling with tonality
So far I have worked out the chord notes
Cm-CEbG
Ab-AbCEb
Fm-FAbC
Bb-BbDF
I can make a case for the tonality of the progression to be any of the chords
However I have decided on Cminor therefore the pentatonic notes are
GBbCEbF
The 2 extra notes are D and Ab which should make it C AEOLIAN
I am now going for a lie down in a dark room yahoo

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:34:49 AM by The Reverend » Logged

B.B. KING: If we could find somebody to play chords... I'm no good with chords. I'm horrible with chords.

TONY JONES; "I don't know too much about scales..........only that they keep my fish from falling apart"
johnnyrobbo
Music Journalist

Play all my songs

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 10:29:22 AM »

Well done, again Mike. C aeolian, it is. I haven't listened to your solo yet as I'm on my tablet at the moment & it's a bit tempremental when it comes to playing C-L audio.

As far as tonality goes, it's easy to "over think" it. I find the best way to figure it out is to record yourself strumming the chord sequence several times. Each time end it on a different chord then listen back to them all and pick the one which sounds somehow "right" to your ears. Then you have your tonality. It's important to remember that (in some cases) the tonality may not be set in stone - one player may hear chord "x" as the central chord; another person may hear chord "y" as the tonality. This will obviously affect their choice of pentatonic scale as their starting point. This is one of the main things which can make the difference between individual players' "signature" sounds.

Hope this helps, mate :-)

Cheers,

John.
The Reverend
Administrator
Legend

Play all my songs

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 08:22:19 AM »

I hope this is OK  drinks
Crap phrasing but I am loving the potential of this  rock

Here endeth the lesson according to Deacon Robbo..................Amen sunglasses

* Final mode.MP3 (4140.61 KB - downloaded 82 times.)

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

colts